A-Bomb and ...

Eating contests and Eating challenges around Kona & Denver



Grey Street



The Challenge at Cheeburger Cheeburger happened Saturday. The turnout was more than I expected! But it turned out well for everyone - getting to be a part of two records being set and enjoying some good friends and greasy food!

As you remember, when I ate the two Pounders a couple of weeks ago the CC manager there mentioned the Colorado record for Pounders eaten in one sitting was 4. So we had set the challenge boundary that way: eat 4 plus a bit more to set a new record. Later I found out from the franchise owner that the Colorado record was not 4 but in fact 2:

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Miller [mailto:xxxxxxxx@cheeburger.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 1:46 PM
To: Lane, Garrison A
Subject: Re: Pounder

I dont see a problem Andrew, BUT I do not know where you got the idea that 4 is the record? I know for a fact that the best I know of is 2. Let us know when you are coming.

Rob Miller
Cheeburger Cheeburger
Parker Colorado

But I was going for 4 no matter what.

Cut to the eating. Thankfully we get to sit on the patio. It's a nice enough day, our party is 16 people, and it's easier because the Parker location is pretty small, dim, and it smells like greasy hamburgers, fries and onion rings.

We order. 7 people get Pounders. They would all finish so we get one record there - the Cheeburger Cheeburger in Sanibel Island, Florida had the national franchise record of simultaneous people to be eating Pounders at the same time - 6. It's now Parker, Colorado with 7. The 6 guys who ordered Pounders got toppings on theirs. Some a couple toppings, and one guy went all out and got a good setup:



Over 2 pounds. Very nice! I've gotta go some time and get lots of toppings -- it looks quite good!



The two guys who put me up to this also enjoyed Pounders themselves:





So I begin:



The 1st is quite OK. Nice medium rare, hot, actually not too too greasy and tastes good. Right on cue the waitress brings out the 2nd. It's OK too but not as good as the 1st. More well done, greasy but hot. Kind of like the chef made it along with #1 and just put it back on the grill to warm it back up. #3 is the same as #2. Toward the end of #3 is when I start thinking too much.



I have had T weigh each Pounder as it came out. Burgers 1, 2, and 3 total 4.13 pounds.

Half-way through #3 I think "Hey, poundage-wise I'm there. Yes, the challenge was eat 4 Pounders. So another way to look at it is eat 4 pounds of Cheeburger Cheeburger hamburgers". I guess I was looking for a way to end this because #4 could have gone down but it would have taken a while. If I had to make an excuse I guess the timing was not the best - Thanksgiving a couple days before, and me filling up on very delicious Cure 81 ham the night before. But there is no excuse.

Thankfully, Kirk and Cale are OK with this interpretation. I think Cale grudgingly OK'd the revision, but since there were no contractual defined terms for the challenge there was room to maneuver.





Be sure to view the Flickr slideshow to see the entire set of photos. And one guy there took some shots too so I will put those up when I get them.

Thanks again to everyone who came out! You're part of two records - 7 people simultaneously eating Pounders, and 3 Pounders in one sitting by one person. Good times!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I think Cale grudgingly OK'd the revision, but since there were no contractual defined terms for the challenge there was room to maneuver."

I'll have to have my lawyers look at how binding a verbal contract is in Colorado. ;o)

In all honesty, I'm OK with three. It's one more than I think I could ever do, on a good day!

Good job, Cale...

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are awesome!

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Incredible! We've done two one-pounders at our local one-pound burger joint but never three. Right now, I can't even think about another eating challenge.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home