A-Bomb and ...

Eating contests and Eating challenges around Kona & Denver



So Much To Say (Part 2)


(photo courtesy Steakbellie)

I am not going to attempt a complete write up of the event. With mega munch, Liz and Steakbellie there will be enough out there. And with Steakbellie you can get the added bonus of wonderful haiku.

But a few observations:


(photo courtesy Liz)

This is a good shot of the crowd in front of the stage. There were also people to the left of, right of, and behind, the stage. It was a pretty good turnout. More than I would have expected at this venue - in the rotunda of a mall. I don't know exactly, but the mall may be late 1970s or early 1980s.


(photo courtesy Steakbellie)

I finally got to meet Liz. Well, kind of. It was not until after the competition was over. I was sitting down behind the stage. Drunk on cheese. I think she shook my hand which was covered with a particularly unique smelling combination of grease, crust, and cheese. I apologize. Liz is a Denver native who has lost her way and for some reason moved to the east coast. She and her other breathren do a very good job writing in general, but of course we really love the coverage they provide of many competitive eating events.


(photo courtesy Steakbellie)

Above you see Mike Castellano reviewing a few things before the eaters take the stage. All of the IFOCE emcees are super and it is difficult to favor one over another. This was my ninth IFOCE competition and I have been lucky to have as emcee: Mike, Rich, George, and Ryan. I put Mike at the top of my list because he brings a certain charisma that is his own to the event. He gets the crowd going, keeps them participating, and runs the event expertly from start to finish.

There were 18 eaters. Mike did a great job with the introductions. The eaters, in order of introduction:

dave "megamunch" shoffner
michael "surprise" updike
"carnivore" paul saccolatus
"pistol" pete marinake
daniel "brimstone" brimmer
steakbellie livingston
me
mongo federighi
dangerous justin mih
brickhouse braunstein
larry mcneil
"the natural" arturo rios
brian subich
allen goldstein
pat philbin
chip simpson
humble bob
pat bertoletti


(photo courtesy Steakbellie)

I look like I have a pinch between my cheek and gum. I did not.


(photo courtesy Steakbellie)


(photo courtesy Liz)

That is "carnivore" paul saccolatus standing next to me.


(photo courtesy Liz)

Brickhouse, Justin, me.


(photo courtesy mega munch)


(photo courtesy Liz)

The totals for the top 6 or 7 eaters are pretty official. Beyond that it's hard to say who finished where and how much they ate. I ate 8 slices, one pie, but I did leave four crusts. One of the rules for the event was for every 4 crusts remaining take away 1 slice from your total. My four crusts were pretty clean - half-inch to an inch, all dough, no tomato sauce or cheese. So I can say I ate 7. Another rule was no dunking. First time I had not been able to dunk. I think weighing may be the way to go with anything that is not very consistent in preparation - like hot dogs or Krystal's. Weighing takes additional time but it is hard to argue with a scale.


(photo courtesy Steakbellie)


(photo courtesy Steakbellie)

Go, Mike, go.

mega munch ended his story with a shout out to the class that Humble Bob shows again and again. I too saw a gesture by Humble Bob that is a small act but is all class. While we were waiting behind the stage before being called up on the stage, Bob made sure to find each of the 3 brothers and other Three Brothers execs. He shook the hand of each, being sure to look them in the eyes, and say "Thanks for having us". I do not know exactly what more may have been said, but that's not important. What is important is that he did this. Other eaters may have also done something similar, but I saw Humble Bob do this. I liked what I saw. Forget being "like Mike". Let's be like Bob.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are way too kind.

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look much less blurry in person! And you'll be happy to know that Liz and her husband J will be moving back to Denver later this year. We'll miss seeing her at all of our east coast events.

"Be Like Bob." I like that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home