A-Bomb and ...

Eating contests and Eating challenges around Kona & Denver



Hot Dogs & BBQ

Today the finals of the hot dog contest took place at Steve's Snappin' Dogs in Denver. The winner put down 13 of the delicious Thumann's hot dogs in 8 minutes. 2nd ate 12.5 of the dogs. As in the qualifiers, the hot dogs were eaten picnic style. They could be dressed with mustard and/or ketchup but no dunking or separating allowed. Bad day for me. But more on that whole thing in a while.

The bigger story is I tried the new sammich at the best local BBQ joint, Brothers BBQ.

It's called The Brother. It's good. Hot Links, pulled Pork Shoulder, Cole Slaw with Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce, jalapenos, and fried onions:

Above is how the sammich arrived. No sauce, just very tasty smoked meats.


When they brought our order they also set down an assortment of sauces. A tangy vinegar-based, a sweet one, and the Brothers Original. I went with the Original - very good, peppery, and just the right kick to it.

It's good.

There was severe sammich failure:

The bun seemed to be a normal burger bun you can buy in a pack of 8 at any grocery store. Not a bad bun so much, but maybe it is poor construction: I think they're going for height and perhaps they should pick a wider bun so the sammich would not be so tall. Overall, I'm glad I finally got to taste the new menu item, but it's not everything I thought it would be. Good, don't get me wrong but not a huge wow factor.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave S. said...

Holy crap that sandwich looks good. I am officially moving to Denver soon.

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Yeah Dave, the sammy is pretty good, but moving here because of it - though very laudable - seems sort of desparate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home