A-Bomb and ...

Eating contests and Eating challenges around Kona & Denver



Outrageous!


T-bonz and I went to the Rock Rest Lodge in Golden for the taping of a feature for Outrageous Foods. The Food Network was there taping at Rock Rest because the lodge serves intact jumbo chicken wings (drum, paddle, nub) and one of the wing sauces is made with ghost chiles that they grow themselves. I would have thought that the Outrageous-ness at the lodge was the Peanut Butter Burger Challenge, but no.

Wing contest table

I was to be in the wing eating contest that will be part of the feature of the lodge on the show. We got there a little early to watch some of the other filming. It was weird; when they called "action" the whole bar got quiet. Nobody even taking steps on the floor because it would creak. But after a while, the wing contest.

4 guys. 2 girls. We each had a plate of 10 wings. First one done wins. But it’s for TV so we had to walk in and sit down a couple of takes. The host moved down the line and chatted a couple of times. We each were filmed separately reacting to the 10 wings before us. And the producer had Tom say some stuff and then say “GO”. A couple of us started, but that was not the signal to start. But “GO” was.

After

Definitely hot wings, for sure, but more about the flavor actually. Really good. Unlike the Atomic Reaper wings, you’d want to eat more of these. And the intestinal effects are nothing in comparison between the two.

During the eating, one of the assistants kept having me wipe off my face. Right! One, no chance - that’s how I eat in contests, especially saucy contests. Two, I think that would look better on tape – leaving the sauce all over my face - because wiping it off would smear it around, no? Oh well, I made it.

At the end, it was very close between me and another guy. Tom called it my way! Fun stuff! The episode will the run in late spring or so.

Quite a month for Rock Rest! The GM not only scored this Outrageous Foods segment, he also scored the KBPI Wing Bowl - all the qualifiers are at Rock Rest and they will be the wing supplier for the semis and finals. Way to go, Bob!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home