A-Bomb and ...

Eating contests and Eating challenges around Kona & Denver



It's A Bust

Cactus Jack's Saloon in Evergreen, Colorado has the Bust It Big challenge. Huge burger. Two enormous Coleman beef fresh-never-frozen patties, huge fresh-baked bun, and toppings. I completed this challenge a few months ago.

I went back to continue preparing for Las Vegas. I wanted to do the Bust It Big again, but with a few twists so it would be better preparation for Vegas. A couple of weeks ago I contacted the owners, Gary and Megan, about a customized Bust It Big: instead of a huge wide burger, make a huge tall burger. Nine 1/2-pound patties. White cheese. Bacon. And here's the big kicker: a couple of habanero peppers.

This was easily the best tasting challenge. Each patty was cooked perfectly medium, juices sealed in by a delicious crust. Melty cheese. Bacon: when does bacon not kick ass? Just the right amount of heat by the habanero slices. Yum! Megan and Gary, thanks for this!

Starting weight:


Photo of the Wall of Fame. That's me on the right. Some dude. And then some girl. She claimed to be "the #3 pro eater".


Here's the before shot. 4 patties were unbunned. 5 patties under the bun.


Each 1/2-pound patty was topped by cheese, bacon, and habaneros.


Very juicy. Very delicious.


How to begin?


Just dig in. Decided to eat 7 patties alone. Then a double cheeseburger to end it.



The fries were not part of the challenge. I ate them once in a while for texture change.










I hit the water too much. Ended up downing 3 glasses. Too much.












Officially there is no time limit on this Bust It Big challenge.

But at about 1:30 I called it with 1.5 patties and some bun left. Dangit!


Close!


Not finishing makes me sad.


Another picture of the Wall of Fame.


Full.

Ending weight with the food + water.


So I didn't get my picture on the Wall of Fame for the 2nd time. Oh well, I'll go back some time and do the Bust It Big under the menu rules. But again, Megan and Gary, thank you very much! Very, very delicious!

This was my 2nd challenge in my getting ready for Las Vegas. The stretch felt great. It was good too to try the habaneros. I came up a bit short, but that's OK. What's not OK is how unfocused I was. I never really got dialed in. Once the challenge begins I've got to focus on the challenge and not let anything else take me off the task. I did the burrito challenge last week, but I didn't get dialed in either but it was only 4 pounds so I could finish that one.

The goal for the next challenge: once it begins, keep the mind on the challenge and only on the challenge. Success would be great, but focus.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Akira Beard said...

I'm giving you a standing ovation. You may not have made the wall of fame, but that was an amazing feat. congrats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home