A-Bomb and ...

Eating contests and Eating challenges around Kona & Denver



Oskar Blues Wings


It can’t be that hot. I’ve had ghost pepper wings and ghost pepper ice cream.


That’s what I was saying before actually taking the Ghost Pepper Wing Challenge at Oskar Blues in Longmont. Boy was I wrong! Whereas at the Rock Rest Lodge the ghost pepper wings were not THAT hot, these at Oskar Blues were f-in molten-lava-diabolical hot. They’re a blend of 5 peppers – jalapeno, habanero, scotch bonnet, Serrano, and the Ghost pepper. Yowza!

For the challenge you have to down 2 pounds of the wings, a bit of celery and carrots, some blue cheese crumbles, and a pint from the tap of one of their micro brews, in 10 minutes. This is my first real challenge like this – it’s totally mental. But I’m ready. So T-bonz and I place our orders with Angie – me the wings, and her a delicious BBQ burger (I want that next time).


The wings arrive, and they are steamy hot. And the beer. I don’t know how long it’s been since I’ve had a beer – 13+ years? The plan is eat the wings. Don’t stop. That’s when it gets hot. And that’s what I do. Good calm pace. Not tasting. Not thinking. Just eating. At about 6 minutes in my focus wavers a bit and the hot begins to get to me. Up until this point, I – yes, me! – have eaten pretty cleanly as far as the table and my face. But once the hot hits me, all bets are off. As you can see in the video.





But I do dispatch everything at 7:51.



Absolutely the hottest thing I have ever eaten. Ever. The beer (which was a bit too dark for my taste) didn’t help cool the burning. Milk? No. Nothing helped. But time. Maybe 20 agonizing minutes later the heat-pain was bearable. Before then, it wasn’t that fun. And looking back, the wings weren’t even the hardest part. Hot, most indeed yes, but the beer was daunting – 13+ years – and the carbonation – I stopped carbonation a year or so ago.


I guess because I had the beer this means I have to go all the way back to Step 1. “Hi, I’m Andrew, and I’ve been sober for 3 days”.

Here are some more photos:


















3 Comments:

Anonymous erb said...

My ass hurts just reading this.

 
Blogger Hartford Whalers said...

Just did this challenge yesterday.
Finsihed with seconds to spare but can certainly relate to the Heat.

 
Anonymous www.cordoba-3d.com said...

Oh my god, there is really much useful information here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home